On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 1:37 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello all, I'm a little new at Linux Mandrake 9.1 and I'm having trouble
> installing my ESS 2838/2839 PCI 56k modem.  Can anyone help me?  I also
> have another computer with a USRobotics/3Com PCI 56k modem with Linux
> Mandrake 9.1 and I
> can't figure that one out either.
>
> On my PC with the ESS it reads:
>
> Mandrake Linux 9.1         2.4.21-0.13mdk
>
> ESS Technology ES2838/2839 SuperLink Modem (rev 01)
> Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 11
> I/O ports at dc00 [size=16]
>
> Bus 0  device 11  function 0
> I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc0f]
>
> 125d:2838  PCI_ID of the PCI bus with vendor:  125d
> 125d:2838  PCI_ID of Subsystem with vendor:  125d
>
> I have more info from scanmodem utility.  I want to learn how to install
> these modems effectively.
>
> Also, I need to connect to my AOL account through Mandrake Linux.  How do I
> install AOLpeng perfectly?
>
> Thankyou,
>
> Adam Glazener
This will help you connect to AOL
http://www.peng.apinc.org/eng/
There is an RPM for penggy on any Mandrake mirror in the 'contrib' folder.

As for the modem it depends on the chipset.
There are precompiled drivers for some chip sets  for Mandrake 9.2 available
from MandraeClub.   I do not know about 9.1, but someone will surely point
you towards a driver.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net