On Wednesday 22 October 2003 04:46 pm, Dick Gevers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am sorry to have to report it, but for me the BitTorrent download of 9.2
> has been a bit of a disappointment:
>
> For 2 days I tried several versions via Mozilla without success. My own
> fault, I should have tested it earlier when I had a chance. Then I happened
> to find the BitTorrent-shadowclient plus I gave it a go with Konqueror.
> At last it worked and it started out reasonably well. The first 2 or 3
> days my download rates sometimes went as high as 12 or 14 kb/s. Then it
> trickled down. My highs became 3,4 or 5 kb/s. Sometimes a little bit more,
> but never longer than a few minutes.
>
> Yesterday I was at 55%. Now I have only progressed to 59.2% and the
> trickle has slowed today to 0,1 or 2 kb/s. I have tried all settings:
> unlimited, dialup/isdn, cable/slow, cable/fast, etc. all with high, medium
> and low upload rates, high, medium and low number of uploads: but nothing
> makes much of a difference. When you change a setting it goes up for a
> little while, then reduces again too fast. I can see (in advanced) enough
> people still around with 100% download completed, but they almost all have
> an asterisk against `choked` or `snubbed`. I saw one guy coming by at rate
> of 2,100 kb/s. I was able to download 11 Mb from him, then he was gone...
>
> I tried setting my upload rate to 80% of max.: no result.
>
> I tried opening my ports 6881:6999: no results; no difference whatsoever.
> The`advanced` window kept showing only *L*ocally initiated loads,
> *R*emotely initiated did not appear. And yes, I did restart shorewall. I
> did it precisely as described in MandrakeClub.
>
> Also, BT didn`t continue through the night, as I had expected: if I wasn`t
> at the keyboard for more than 3 hours the programme stopped and the
> download as well (the connection stayed up!).
>
> This isn`t getting me anywhere, because the last estimate of bt-shadow was
> that I still had more than 235 hours to go, or ~10 days. I hope that by
> that time my powerpack cd`s will have arrived from Paris. Also in 10 days
> probably no one is around to torrent with.
>
> I just looked at the graph my ISP shows of daily consumption, and this
> confirms exactly the pattern: download rate went up on Thursday; Friday
> it maxed at ~470 Mb and every day after that it went down steady, even
> though I was connected 24 h/day.
>
> I have now used up about 1,800 Mb of my monthly ration with bt. At this
> rate, if I continue it would go up to over 3,000 Mb (this includes error
> checking, communication with other bt`ers etcetera), not leaving enough for
> the rest of the month and for consumption by the other members of my
> family.
>
> So, unfortunately, I have had to stop the download. On the positive
> side I found, I was glad to be able to upload almost 2 Gb to others.
>
> I hope this information is useful somehow. Meanwhile, I look forward to a
> package from Paris :-)
>
> Regards,
> [...]
It appears that the number of folks remaining online as servers is
decreasing.  I have left mine going for about a week now and think that
others should get back on to help the rest right up until 9.2 hits the
shelves and the ftp mirrors.   Come on folks, jump back in. HTH
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842