On Saturday 25 October 2003 12:19 pm, Johan wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for info.
> Please some more...
> Using urpmi to update from club-internet & others I do not see the
> kernel on the available list that come to screen.
> Will urpmi do this automatic or does it need some specific instructions.
> Some pointers here would be much appreciated.
> I have never done a kernel update/upgrade or whatever.
> To scared I will konk my system.
It won't konk your system at all.  In fact, because of pioneers that konked
their systems by trying to update the kernel back in the 7.2 days, the
process has been changed so that it is nearly impossible to screw up your
system by installing a new kernel.

urpmi will not update the kernel because update would replace the existing
kernel package.  This is bad because it would overwrite the current running
kernel.  Consequently, it will not show up in the update module of rpmdrake.

If you care about the detail, there is something called the skip.list in the
urpmi configuration files.  Anything on this skip.list will not show up in
updates.  Look in /etc/urpmi/skip.list.

You need to install the new kernel, so you can either urpmi 'kernel-2.4.22-18'
or use the install software module of rpmdrake to install it with a gui.

After you successfully boot to the new kernel, there will be two kernel images
in the /boot directory, the old and the new.  Once you are satisfied that the
new kernel is running properly, you can remove the old one by 'urpme
kernel-2.4.22-10' or use the remove software module of rpmdrake.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx