On Saturday 25 Oct 2003 7:16 pm, Mike Adolf wrote:
SNIP
>********* Thanks derek,
>
> From PLF site, I used Easy urpmi to Identify and load the sources you
> mentioned above. First I tried mplayer. It installed OK, but it would not
> play the video.  Then I found out that the file type I was downloading is
> .ram which has a mime type of realaudio. So, I installed RealPlayer and all
> works well. Urpmi is a pretty slick tool, especially since it knows what
> dependencies are needed.
>
> What, if anything, will I need to do with urpmi after going to 9.2.  How do
> you know what aps need updating?
>
> mike

Glad it all worked.
To go to 9.2 there are 3 different routes you could take.

1/ Do a fresh install, but do not format your /home partition.
That is the easiest and lowest risk path. Afterwards declare new urpmi sources
for 9.2 and reinstall any apps you downloaded from plf etc. Your user data in
/home will still be there, and so will your application configs

2/ Do an 'upgrade' from CD.  This will just upgrade any packages which are
different between the 2 releases. This is quicker than a full install, but
may require you to go about tweaking your system afterwards. For example you
will need to redefine your urpmi sources again, and you will probably find
some menu items like the kde konsole are missing. This is because 9.2 splits
applications between packages differently.

3/ Do an online update - I have done this 3 times now, but since if it goes
wrong you end up with a dead computer, I had better not describe it :-)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
Get urpmi sources from