Well despite advice to the contrary I have,

black / common soldered to body/shank1

white / Left channel soldered to shank2

Red / Right channel soldered to tip

and it's working OK as far as I can tell,
that is right and left balance fade left and right,
but I cannot tell for absolute sure that I have,
left output channel to left imput channel
right output channel to right imput channel
It just sounds OK

How can I check up to make sure.

I've made a few of those Mini-jack to RCA type leads and you've got it the correct way around.
If you'd gotten it wrong all that would have happened is left and right channels would be reversed. Black is ground, white is left and red is right.
This type of connector is called a Tip,Ring,Sleeve (TRS) connector for obvious reasons.
Incedently, when you make cable for use outside of the computer the shank or sleeve,which is connected to the body of the plug or socket is always ground unless your making some esoteric professional style cable like a balanced XLR. It still sort of is even then ;-)

Cheers

Jamie Taylor

I wanted an OS, I got a hobby
Registered Linux user #333241