I'm having a problem with my serial ports.  Mandrake 9.1, Fujitsu L-470 PII
w/192M.  This has a built-in modem, infrared port, and a serial port.

When I set the serial ports to AUTO in BIOS then I'm unable to synch my
Palm device using either ttyS0 or ttyS1 (Kpilot).

When I disable the IR serial in BIOS, no change.

When I manually define IRQ4 and 3f8 in the BIOS for the non-IR port, then
DMESG lists it as ttyS0 with that information.  That all seems good, but
then I'm able to synch with either ttyS0 or ttyS1!  Both ports seem to have
the same information, somehow the port is split.  I'm concerned when two
software ports point to the same hardware because it may indicate that I've
munged something, and it may reduce the efficiency.

Thanks for your help,
Max

P.S.  I have another problem which I believe is unrelated.  In keeping with
the FAQ I'll put it in another message.