Hi all,

I managed to royally mess up my MD 9.1 just before finishing my
BitTorrent download and while waiting for my PowerPack to be
shipped :-((

Somewhere I found an advice that all font names should have small
letters in their names. As not all my fonts were working, I launched
Krename and changed the caps to small letters, while waiting for BT,
this was probably the stupidest I could have done!

I noticed my fonts changing, but not improving. Today I had to go to
Windows to do my bank payments. Afterwards I couldn't start X any
longer.

I found an X error reading i.a.:
quote
Using vt 7. Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from
list.
Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'.
unquote

Restoring all fonts from tarballs I had put on cdrw before upgrading
to 9.2 didn't help anything.

I googled for the problem and found several answers, such as:
*directory / is full: not in my case (> 3 Gb spare);
*restart xfs server; I already tried that in runlevels 3 and 5.
* reinstall XF86 packages: did that; didn't help.
* I restored /etc/XF86Config from tarball on cd: didn't help
* another answer said to delete reference to default font in
XF86Config, but there wasn't any, except for an "other" Mandrake font
server.

In each case I restarted the xfs server and tried to start X, but it
failed. In the last case I waited 10 to 15 minutes and saw an
occasional attempt by X to start up (a few coloured lines showing or
very fast falshing by of my last terminal screen), but nothing
helped.

I should very much appreciate it if somebody can advise me how to get
back in my Mandrake with X.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
=Dick Gevers=