10/27/03

To echo Paul's comments,

Red means danger.  On a recording device it means you're about to
destroy whatever is on the tape by recording over it.  By using
the color red for an "armed" track, you can immediately tell which
tracks in a multi-track recording setup are going to be
overwritten with the new material, and which tracks are locked
"green" and will not be overwritten.

Advances in computer recording software have made possible a
Virtual Recording Mode.  Now you can edit and add effects without
destroying the original audio material.

Samplitude Studio from SEK'D (I have a Windows Version) makes a
fundamental difference between a VIP (Virtual Image Project) and a
HD (Hard Disk) project file and RAP (RAM Project) file.  HD and
RAP projects contain the physical audio material (such as the WAV
file.)  VIP files use pointers into the physical audio files
(WAV).  So when working with VIP files, the editing can be
non-linear and non-destructive.  You're only working with pointers
and not the actual physical audio file.

Anyone know if there are comparable software programs for Linux?
I haven't had time to check into that yet.

Regards,
The Other.