Fellow Linux users,

I'm trying to sell a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (Pentium 200MMX w/96M RAM, 1M
Video), and I have a buyer if I can get Linux on it.  The thing works fine
under Win 98, Win ME, Win Pro.  Under Linux my first hurdle was the sudden
appearance of a bad track, resolved by installing the HD on another machine
(no bad track there), installing MDK9.1 and transferring the drive back.

Everything seemed fine, I was using WindowMaker and IceWM, and it was
groovy.  But something happened along the way and now it doesn't
auto-login, and once logged in, it won't run X (or any other GUI I've
tried).  The display information is correct.  The init level is 5.

When I try to run X, there are several lines dealing with authority stuffs,
and then there is the error message "No Devices Found".  I thought Linux's
strength was that it could run on almost anything from watches to
supercomputers, so the limitation here must be my ability to modify Linux
for this machine.

BTW, the bad track is apparently back because fsck finds a bunch of bad
blocks in a row.  It finds the same one each time run, and I've tried
employing the -l/-L switches, but must be doing something wrong there too.
It must be a BIOS issue, and on these Compaqs there's no convenient access
to the BIOS. BTW, I spent 11 hours on this and look at recieving $60 for
the system <grin>.  Also, the bad track thing had me throw away a harddrive
a few weeks ago, same tracks reading as bad on this drive, so that drive
was probably ok too.  <sigh>

Is the answer: Nope, MDK9.1 won't run on that piece of junk, install Win
and sell it for less?  Or is it: Sure, just adjust the Kaiser Module and
MDK9.1 will be fine on there?

Bah!,
Max