Ronald J. Hall wrote:

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 03:47 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

By means of employing   gramofile I have created a set of .wav files
from an audio tape.

When I come to load the .wav files into Rezound I get an error message,

error reading audio data from /tmp/track01.wav
-- file missing data
-- read 13320192 frames, should be 264600000
-- keeping what was read

but the rezound blue slider bar gets stuck at 5%

seems that resound doesn't like what gramofile has created.

Since I haven't yet figured out how to get rezound to create .wav files
from audio tape I need to know what I can do with the .wav files
gramofile created so that I can manipulate them in rezound. The short
bit of .wav that resound has accepted plays badly, very garbled, rough,
as though half the audio stream has been clipped away.

Is there anything I can do about it , does anyone have the experience to
advise me.

John

John, are you sure that you let Gramofile walk thru all its steps and complete the .wav process? Just a thought...

Thanks everyone for your replies,

Oh yes, I'm quite sure that gramofile completed OK, and indeed the .wav files play OK in xcdroast, well I have to check what I find, before writing to disc.

The main concern here is to remove the burps and clicks at beginning and end which is the tape deck starting and stopping. I know you are ging to say , don't start gramofile before the tape has got going, but believe me the time slots between tracks on many tapes is quite small and it's exacting to time it precisely right each time, and in any case these sound manipulation apps are there to do just such a tidying up opperation, and that and other things is what I want them for.

I already have audacity on, but I'm getting all kinds of error spiel in the terminal window,
eg.
** (audacity:28211): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 2002 (pango_layout_get_extents): assertion `layout != NULL' failed

< big snip )

** (audacity:28211): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 727 (pango_layout_set_text): assertion `layout != NULL' failed

** (audacity:28211): CRITICAL **: file pango-layout.c: line 2002 (pango_layout_get_extents): assertion `layout != NULL' failed

(audacity:28211): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1337 (g_object_unref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Although the .wav files do load OK, and play reasonably well too. But cannot figure out just yet how to cut surplus sound track. I tell a lie , just found out how to do that.

A few questions, what is,
White noise ?
Sine Oscillator ?

What would be the best way to filter tiny blips out ?

I notice audacity creates new files ,

track01_data  3.3MB
track01.aup     21.0 kb

but how do these relate to

the original track01.wav of 50.8 MB,which appears unchanged.

neither -data , nor .aup can actually be the audio files as such, far too small.
Seems like they refer to the alterations, but don't actually alter the main .wav file ?

Rather more questions than answers but progress nevertheless.

I will have to contact the author of rezound. will do so presently.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]