On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 03:18:49 -0400
Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> Switch to runlevel 3 and then back to runlevel 5.
>
> telinit 3
> (do your driver thing)
> telinit 5

I agree completely with the advise. I do have a query as to why you use
telinit instead of init. I quote the man

<quote>
TELINIT
/sbin/telinit is linked to /sbin/init.  It takes a one-character argu-
ment and signals init to perform the appropriate action. The following
arguments serve as directives to telinit:

 0,1,2,3,4,5 or 6
     tell init to switch to the specified run level.

 a,b,c  tell init to process only those /etc/inittab file entries having
     runlevel a,b or c.

 Q or q tell init to re-examine the /etc/inittab file.

 S or s tell init to switch to single user mode.

 U or u tell  init  to  re-execute itself (preserving the state). No re-
     examining of /etc/inittab file happens. Run level should be one
     of Ss12345, otherwise request would be silently ignored.

telinit can also tell init how long it should wait between sending pro-
cesses the SIGTERM and SIGKILL signals.  The default is 5 seconds, but
this can be changed with the -t sec option.

telinit can be invoked only by users with appropriate privileges.

The init binary checks if it is init or telinit by looking at its pro-
cess id; the real init's process id is always 1.  From this it follows
that instead of calling telinit one can also just use init instead as a
shortcut.
</quote>

The first and last sentences say it all really. In my understanding all
systemV, thus all linux versions, use init.

--
Michael