On Sunday 09 November 2003 07:16 pm, Katherine Catalano wrote:
> Thanks Richard. I do need further help with this. I know very
> little about Linux so far.
> Is this done in bash?
>
> Katherine

Katherine, to edit configuration files you can open a terminal
(console), type "su" (without the " marks) to become root
(system administrator). When prompted, give your root password.

Now you'll need a text editor to browse and edit your files.
There are plenty of those already on your system. For example,
type : "kwrite" or "kate" or "mc" or ........ "emacs" (if you
are courageous). Then browse to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and edit
as you like. - But save it first under a different name, i.e. :
"XF86Config-4.old" , just in case. Then, save and exit. To have
your changes take effect, log out and in again.

Personally, I prefer "Midnight Commander". This is a nice "Norton
Utilities clone" with lots of options. It is not installed by
default, but it is on your cd's. Just (in your root console)
type : "urpmi mc" , and you are done. Then, from a root console,
type "mc" and enjoy !

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*This mail was sent from a 100 % Microsoft free computer*