If you are still running Windows, download a program called Go!Zilla.  It's
a download manager that will search thru FTP sites to find the fastest
server.  It will start downloading when you click the "download" button.  If
the download starts to slow down, Go!Zilla will automatically switch to a
faster server.

**On a 56K connection, I was able to download at 48K using Go!Zilla.

HTH,
Matt