HaywireMac wrote:

One thing that occurred to me, thinking about Eric's adage, there are
really *no* eyes on the Windows "kernel" (or whatever you call it). How
many unknown/deliberate backdoors could be in *there*?

Some time ago I was speaking to a MS employee at a party, he mentioned that MS was having a lot of trouble with people sabotaging their projects so that if it got transferred to another programmer group it wouldn't work quite right. They also had to ban backdoors because people were getting into other groups' projects and flaying them so they would seem less successful.
There are probably not enough eyes to see all the holes...