On Monday 17 Nov 2003 5:42 am, Greg Meyer wrote:
> I have Shorewall set up on my laptop, but I am finding that my logs are
> getting inundated with messages from Shorewall telling me about all the
> packets being dropped from the Windows machines on my network.
>
> How can I reduce the amount of logging that goes on and is it safe to do
> so. Do I really need to know about every one of these stray packets?

Two solutions.
The easy one is  to remove the 'info' from the entries in
/etc/shorewall/policy  That will kill all shorewall logging of dropped
packets.

The second solution for those with plenty of time is to edit /etc/syslog.conf
so that shorewall info log entries are not put into syslog and instead go in
a different log.  (You will also need to set up logrotate to rotate that log)
See 'man syslogd'

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net