On Monday 17 November 2003 01:02 pm, Richard Babcock wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
> I am currently using ML 9.1 and shorewall with a 160g hd as both file
> server and firewall. It occurs to me that this could be a flawed design
> or at least one inviting trouble.
> For example, if one machine fails I lose both the internet and my
> files. Also, it seems bad form to have my precious files 'right there'
> with the firewall.
> I have enough machinery on hand to allow me to put the file server in
> one box and the firewall in another. I would appreciate the opinions of
> others on this. Feel free to engage in religious discussions.
> One last thing (as Columbo would say). I went with shorewall because of
> the sheer volume of information about it available on the internet. ML
> also has a firewall of it's own does it not? Can anyone help me compare
> the two?
> tia

R,

Do you have an old 386 laying around?? if so you should try IPCOP OR
SMOOTHWALL they both work on old  boxes. and they are great firewalls. If you
have the time then go with shorewall but if you want something quick and
easy.. try IPCOP. its as easy as "set it and forget it!"

Grasshopper

Sent 2u on a M$ free system!