The answer is essentially yes. The easiest way to extract the contents of the
.tgz file is to use KDE's archiver tool. Open KFM, and navigate to the .tgz
file, right-click the file, and select "archiver" from the context menu. This
will open the file in an archiver window, then select (I think) "File/Extract to
..." which will open a destination window. You can then deposit the contents of
the .tgz file where you want.

Ernie