On Saturday 22 November 2003 07:26 pm, Charlie wrote:
> Getting a laser printer finally. I know someone who has several used ones
> that her company is getting rid of. All various brands and models. Are
> there any particular ones I should stay away from?
>
> Mandrake 9.1
>
> Thanks,

Charlie:

I've got an old Brother HL1040 and it has worked well for me. They are
obsolete now; its successors were the HL1240 and now the HL1440.

Take a look at www.linuxprinting.org -- they have a list of winners and losers
that could be useful to you.

Warning one: Since these are used printers, expect to replace the toner and
perhaps the drum. Toner cartridges for this machine run about $35, but the
drum units are brutal. Check Staples (or similar) for the cost of
replacements.

Warning two: One of the selling points for my printer is that the paper path
is pretty much a straight line. Printers that make the paper go around some
tight bends are much more apt to jam, and that is not a good thing.

The one drawback with my printer is that it doesn't do postscript; not a big
deal, but it would make setup easier if it did.

-- cmg