On Saturday 22 November 2003 09:22 pm, Melissa Reese wrote:

> This is a test.  It looks like I've sorted out my ethernet
> connection.   We'll see if this goes anywhere.  :-)

Sorry to reply to myself, but I've noticed a peculiar thing...

After I installed the basic updates (including some update files for
"drakconnect"), I did the following, which seems to have enabled my
ethernet connection in Mandrake:

I shut down the computer, and unplugged my cable connection.  I then
plugged the cable back in, and booted directly into Mandrake.
Connection established, IP address acquired, etc.  No problem.
Until...

I tried to re-start the computer, this time booting into Windows.
Oops!  No connection, and my Windows wouldn't even fully boot up (the
firewall didn't start, nor did a few other programs that normally
start with Windows).  And...I got a few peculiar error
messages...something to do with shell stuff (sorry, I didn't write
them down).  Anyway... I then did the following...

I shut down the computer, unplugged the cable, plugged the cable back
in, then booted directly into Windows.  Everything was back to
normal, and the connection was good.  Then...

I re-started (this time without unplugging/re-plugging the cable...to
see what would happen), and booted into Mandrake.  Back to no
successful DHCP, so no IP address, etc.  :-(  Then...

I again shut down the machine, unplugged the cable, plugged it back
in, then booted into Mandrake.  This time I got the full connection!

So...it seems that I now know what I need to do in order to connect
with Mandrake, but if I want to switch between Mandrake and Windows,
I have to unplug/re-plug the cable between every boot!

Can anyone think of why Mandrake and Windows don't like to share?
Could it have something to do with the fact  Mandrake is on the
"Slave" hard drive, and Windows is on the "Master"? (I could switch
that status if that would help).

Thanks again!

--
Melissa