On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 06:25:32PM -0700, Richard Salts wrote:
> What user privileges do I, as root, enact to be able to enable an ordinary
> user to be able to dial up the Internet and use browser, e-mail, chat, etc?

The only thing you have to do is allow them to dialup.  Everything else is
automatically available.

Depending on what you're using to connect to the Internet, it's easy to
allow normal users to make the connection:

        Kppp:  just set up kppp for that user.  They start the connection
                just like root.

        netcfg:  there's a checkbox to "allow normal users to (de)activate
                the connection, put a checkmark in it and save all the
                way back out.  Users use

                        /sbin/ifup ppp0         # to connect
                        /sbin/ifdown ppp0       # to disconnect

                or
                        usernet

                        which is just a one button window that you click
                        to connect and click to disconnect.

Does anyone else get the idea that we've got too damn many ways to
accomplish one thing?

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator