On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 00:21, deedee wrote:
> Lee Wiggers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:41:41 +0000
> >No, if install means tuck it in on the hd and use it every day.
> >Hmmm, guess I wasn't asking the right question.
> >
> >Why does it just come up with a working kde desktop every time,
> >then?  Cranky laptop to 99.00 piece of junk.

<snip>

> >I'm not being obtuse (I don't think.). I'm waiting for the lightbulb
> >to light.
>
> I was just reading an article on O'Reilly (http://linux.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/4323)
> that went into a lot of detail about Knoppix. However, on the forum where I read the
> article -- I don't remember which unfortunately (sorry about that) -- the comments
> at the bottom by other readers indicated that the article was wrong about Knoppix
> using kudzu for hardware detection.
>
> According to those folks, Klaus Knopper created his own software for hardware
> detection basing it on the Debian distribution, and it is apparently superior to
> everything else out there.
>
> deedee
> --
This weekend I found a case where Knoppix failed and MDK succeeded!
I've got a test machine with set up with CD on IDE 0 primary, CDRW on
IDE 1 primary and the four hard drives on a Promise card so they become
hde through hdh.  Knoppix boots and detects the hard drives but sits a
long time trying to find a driver and finally gives up.  You can't mount
a hard drive partition.  Mandrake 9.2 detects and installs on these
drives just fine.  Klaus probably doesn't have a Promise TX133 card;
maybe they're not marketed in Europe.

I do wish MDK would make it easier to configure for dial-up internet
access when a local network also exists -- drakconnect seems almost
willfully stupid in this case, and modifying /etc/sysconfig... isn't
easy for new users.  Knoppix handles this transparently.  I guess those
of us in rural or poor inner city areas where broadband is uneconomic
for the providers to provision (I'm both, part-time) are a declining
minority.

I guess with all the permutations of hardware and environment out there
it's a miracle that anything works at all. One of the benefits of
Stalinism: the 1938 model tractor may be an inefficient and smokey
monster, but everyone knows where to kick it when it refuses to start;
nobody can keep all the spares needed to service 27 incompatible free
enterprise models.

--
N. B. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
University of New Orleans, Dept of Physics