On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:38:25 -0800
"Russ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is from a Win list. All above my head. Any truth to it?

None whatsoever.

No one with any experience in security and who has not been bought off my MS
seriously believes that Windows is *anywhere near* as secure as Linux or any of
the Unix variants.

Whoever wrote this has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

My favourite part:

"You can hack the user's 'PATH' and plant a bunch of trojans and hope you
can sucker the user into typing 'su' "

1. How the hell could you hack the users PATH if you cannot gain access in the
first place with one of the millions of mind-blowingly trivial exploits like
MS-Blaster or other worms?

2. Notice that the writer uses the word "hope", ie. compromising a Linux system
*requires the participation of the user*, whereas the same is not true on
Windows.

For more info on this:

http://securityfocus.com/columnists/188

http://www.ccianet.org/papers/cyberinsecurity.pdf

The idea that script kiddies will find ways to exploit *nix systems as they
become more popular on the desktop is a myth, and the people that spout this
garbage usually have a serious case of "OS Envy".

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046