Hi,

It's now been eleven days since I installed Mandrake, and I'd like to
share a few thoughts.  This may be a bit long, so I apologize in
advance for my sound-byte challenged condition.

First, I want to thank all of the very helpful and patient people on
this list...you're all great! You've not only helped me with technical
issues, but have also given me an appreciation for the community
effort that is Mandrake in particular, and Linux in general.

I'm going to keep working on tweaking my Mandrake and associated
programs, but I'm also going to slow down the pace of my Linux
project. You see, I'm a busy person, and I'm realizing that I'm
spending way too much time staring at this silly screen, and not
getting, amongst other things, enough sleep. Do beware though...I'm
not through with you yet! No doubt I'll be back, sooner than you might
hope...to ask more stupid and silly questions. :-)

In another thread - "leaving linux again" - "Void" was concerned about
not being able to get the television tuner working. Both the original
post and the several replies allowed me to ponder the irony of the
value of spending so much time staring at one type of screen or
another. At the end of the day, how much real difference is there
between watching television and watching a computer screen? I may
happen to agree with many that between the two, spending time with the
computer *can* be more productive than spending the same time looking
at a television, but what about the time taken away by either from the
rest of life?

Remember the world just on the other side of our windows? No...not the
"Windoze" or "xWindows"...but those transparent glass barriers between
where we are at this moment, and all that fresh air out there! And
what about spending some quality time curled up by the fire with a cup
of tea and good book?

As I said, my life is busy. I'm a musician, a kayaker, a boat builder,
a chess player, a bicyclist, a reader, a beach bum, and another thing
or two or three. I know the rest of you have lives beyond your
computers as well, so I know you understand.

I do enjoy keeping in touch with my friends via email, and I use my
computer when I write poetry and prose. I use the computer to research
things I'm interested in, and to play a bit of chess with people all
over the world. It's a wonderful and rather amazing tool. However, it
is the world beyond this keyboard, mouse, and monitor that fascinates
me even more, and I'm feeling like I'm missing too much of it as I sit
here for hours on end typing Klingon phrases into a little black
Konsole (again...who's in charge of spelling around here?! :-)).

Though tweaking software can be interesting to me - to a degree - I
really only ever do it out of necessity...never because I just like to
tweak. I'm finding that to be a Linux user *is* to tweak and to
tinker, and in reality, I find myself doing more tinkering than
emailing, playing chess, or writing. Worse yet, I'm doing more
tinkering in the glow of this screen this past week than I am paddling
my kayak and walking on the beach, and this I find disturbing.

I know that after these initial weeks of understandable intensity I
*should* be able to do a bit less tweaking and a bit more of other
things, but I can also see an emerging pattern of increased screen
time devoted just to the machine and OS itself, rather than just doing
what I want with this tool, then moving on to other things. There are,
after all, only 24 hours in each day, and I must balance my life a bit
better than I have these past several days.

A few thoughts about Windows versus Linux...

I've come to really appreciate the Linux philosophy, and the community
of users/developers that make all this possible. It really is pretty
amazing.  In spite of my general dislike of the "Microsoft way", I
must also acknowledge some of the really sophisticated and refined
programs written for Windows.  I'm not talking about MS applications
beyond the OS itself, but about many third party applications that I
truly enjoy using.  Sometimes, when we're so passionate about one way
of doing things over another, we can overlook some practical
realities.  There are indeed some really wonderful Windows programs
that just don't have truly comparable Linux counterparts...yet.

The email program I'm writing from at this moment (The Bat!) is one of
those very elegant programs written for Windows, and is not, at this
time, ported to Linux. For the sake of Linux users everywhere, I do
hope someday it will be. I've been told that since it's written in
Delphi, that may make the transition easier.  I don't really know what
that means in technical terms, but several people more knowledgeable
than myself have told me this...and I hope it's true.

With all the corresponding and writing I do, I've always been a bit of
an "email client junkie", and once I found The Bat!, I've never looked
for another default email client. My curiosity keeps me looking at and
playing with others that hold some interest for me (naturally, the
abominations MS calls their "email clients" are *not* amongst the ones
that interest me!), but I've yet to find *any* email client for
Windows or for Linux that really comes close to The Bat!. I'll keep
looking, especially at Linux clients, but I assure you, it takes a lot
to impress me at this point, and I'm not impressed yet.

It's not at all difficult to find email clients vastly superior to
Outlook and Outlook Express (eek!...sorry for swearing!), but it's
going to take some time for other Windows *and* Linux email clients to
catch up to the power, versatility, and sheer elegance of The Bat! I'm
certainly not saying that one can't find their "perfect" email client
from amongst the other choices (indeed, many do), but until you've
tried this one, you may not know what you're missing. I certainly
didn't know what I was missing before I discovered this client a few
years ago.

There are some other "Windows only" bits of software that deserve a
great deal of respect from *any* computer user, as I'm sure there are
Linux only programs that can't be matched in the Windows realm
(including perhaps the OS kernel itself). I guess what I'm trying to
say is that it's not always so simple to be all for one way, and all
against the other. Each can learn from the other, and both could be
better for it.  I'm certainly rooting for Linux to come out ahead in
the end.

In a "perfect world" according to me, know I'd be using Linux
exclusively, but considering the current reality of software
development and availability, I know that I'll be dual-booting for
some time to come. Maybe someday I can happily claim to operate a
"100% MS free computer". :-)

Thanks again to all of you for helping me so much in my first few
clumsy steps with Mandrake/Linux!

To quote a certain governor..."I'll be back!" :-)

- --
Melissa

PGP public keys:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&Body=Please%20send%20keys