Let me first say, thanks to you all for the help, it is truly
appreciated.

That said, I must say how frustrating this whole process is being. It is
hard to believe that simply getting the latest updates for ML 9.2 is
this difficult, arcane, and truly byzantine.

I did finally get the urpmi.setup window open from the command line
but.... The GUI window which opens simply offers me a plethora of
choices with NO indication of what is needed or or wanted in any of the
fields. I have no Idea what to do with the various buttons. That is
completely ignoring the fact that the program remains completely
unavailable from my GUI.

I went to  http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php and followed the
"instructions". Once again I was offered a multitude of choices for
every step with no indication of what might be best. I simply selected
the already highlighted choices and got, along with a great deal of
command line stuff:

        retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
        no hdlist file found for medium "plf"
        examining synthesis file
        [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf.cz]
        problem reading synthesis file of medium "plf"
        unable to update medium "plf"

So I tried changing the mirrors at random. This produced another batch
of command line stuff followed by:

        retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
        no hdlist file found for medium "updates"
        examining synthesis file
        [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz]
        problem reading synthesis file of medium "updates"
        unable to update medium "updates"

So i tried yet different mirrors and got a similar batch of command line
stuff followed by:

        retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
        no hdlist file found for medium "main"
        examining synthesis file
        [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]
        problem reading synthesis file of medium "main"
        unable to update medium "main"
After several more of these attempts It has started downloading
something but I have no idea what. It is about half through downloading
whatever it is.
Should I assume that what it is downloading is what is needed, and if so
now what?

I really do appreciate all the help. However this entire process is very
daunting to the newbie. There has got to be a better/easier way.

Thanks.

LTR  }}:{(
[EMAIL PROTECTED]