On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:45, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> I've got the usual Iomega Zip drive at /dev/hdc (master, 2nd channel) on
> my Soyo Dragon Plus MB. I've used it under v9.0 and 9.1 with no problems.
> I'm able to use it just fine now, cp'ing/rm'ing files no problems. I am
> getting an odd message in dmesg that I've never gotten before (this is
> under 9.2):
>
> Partition check:
>  /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 < p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 >
>  hdc:<6>end_request: I/O error, cmd 0 dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 0
> end_request: I/O error, cmd 0 dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1
> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
> end_request: I/O error, cmd 0 dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 2
> end_request: I/O error, cmd 0 dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 3
<snip>
>  unable to read partition table
> ide: late registration of driver.
>
> I tried booting with 2 different (and known good) zip carts in, as well
> as with no cart in at all. Same message. I switched IDE cables, just in
> case. Still the same message.
>
> AFAICT - there is no harm done, after all...I am able to use the drive.
> Its just annonying. Is this one of those semi-harmless, non-fatal
> messages that I can safely ignore?

You're right Ron, no harm is done and I agree, it IS really annoying
scrolling thru logs/email with hundreds of lines unnecessarily.  You can
either safely ignore these messages or, if you don't mind losing
supermount, avoid the error messages by adding "noauto" to the zip drive
entry in /etc/fstab.

I chose to add "noatuo" for my cdrom drive a few days ago but I think you
may soon become annoyed if you like supermount and use your zip drive
often.  So far I've only used my cdrom drive once since the change so it
has bothered me too much yet and its soooooo nice getting shorter log
files.

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today