--- Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Friday 05 Dec 2003 2:46 pm, Tango Echo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I started with a quest to find a better OCR
> program
> > then the version of Kooka that's included in 9.1.
> > recall a table of applications on Twiki (at least
> > think it was there) that listed the comparison.
> Like
> > for example, you would look for Quickbooks under
> > windows and next to it would be Gnucash.  I
> searched
> > Twiki but couldn't't find it... Can any of you
> point
> > me in the right direction? Also, if you happen to
> know
> > of a good OCR program I'd love to hear about it =)
> >
> > Tango
> >
> Tango, I don't recall ever seeing anything like
> that, but it's an
> excellent idea.  I think we should start it right
> now.
>
> As for OCR, I've not tried it, but XSane has an
> option to scan to OCR,
> I think.
>
> Anne
> --

Ah ha! Found it...  Here's the url:

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/#1

It appears to be an excellent resource.  Perhaps if
this goes on up on Twiki, we could put an astrisk next
to each piece of software that is Mandrake supported.
For example if Gnucash is available from the mandrake
contrib (or perhaps other mirrors) we could put a *
next to it.  Then people know they only need to urpmi
the app name to grab it.  If we really wanted to get
fancy we could have the * hyperlinked to a page that
listed the Mandrake versions that support the app.  So
we could setup 3 pages for example:
1 - 9.2
2 - 9.2, 9.1
3 - 9.2 9.1 8.2
Then depending upon the support of the app, we
hyperlink the * to 1, 2, or 3.  Just some thoughts....

I tried xsane with not much more luck then Kooka.
Basically it identified some characters that Kooka
didn't, but didn't recgonize some that Kooka did.
Perhaps I should start a new thread to see what others
are doing for OCR.  There's gotta be something better!
 Although Kooka and Xsane were really the only free
OCR apps on that list...