et wrote:
On Sunday 07 December 2003 12:52 pm, Graham Watkins wrote:

Hi again folks,

I briefly managed to get my scanner working through Mandrake control
centre (first time ever!) - long enough to do a test scan which was
successful.  However the next time I tried to use it, Xsane could not
detect the device.  Back into control centre - the scanner was not
shown. I set it up manually (it's a Hewlett Packard 4200C) and
everything seemed to be OK but when I tried to use it, again no scanners
were detected.  It worked once, it must be possible to get it going
again.  Anyone know how?

Cheers

more info required;;;;
what version of MDK?
is it a USB scanner? LPT? scsi?
in /etc/sane.d/ do you have a file "hp4200.conf" and does it have the same settings as reported by 'sane-find-scanner' (as root, in the CLI)

I'm running 9.2.

It's a USB scanner

hp4200.conf reads as follows:

# Options dor the hp4200 backend

# Autodetect the HP4200c
usb 0x03f0 0x0105

/dev/usbscanner
/dev/usb/scanner0
/dev/scanner

sane-find-scanner brings up the following:

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

# No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a driver for your USB host controller and have installed a
# kernel scanner module.

# Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
# detected by this program.

so far as I can tell the USB module is loaded. Wouldn't know what to do if it wasn't.

Cheers,

--
Graham Watkins

On the whole, I preferred cats to women because cats seldom if ever used the word "relationship".(Kinky Friedman - Greenwich Killing Time)

Registered Linux user number 265254 http://counter.li.org