On Sunday 07 December 2003 16:47, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> Just a few comments here; I've had some problems with sound in v9.2
> other than that, a few minor wrinkles here and there, but it
> seems/feels pretty solid here.
>
> I've got a Soyo Dragon Plus MB, onboard sound, CMI8738MC6, and it
> uses snd-cmipci.
>
> Under v9.1, everything worked. Under 9.2 the issues are:
>
> Mplayer - wouldn't play sound in newer AVIs or MOVs
> fixed - in Mplayers' prefs, change audio to use arts.
>
> Games - Rune, Quake2, Descent3, etc,etc start but no sound
> fixed - start each game thus; "artsdsp rune" (for example).
>
> This works fine for all native games, but I've got a few WIneX games
> that also don't have sound. Half-Life for one. Can someone tell me
> how to pass the artsdsp command to WineX? I looked into WineXs'
> config file for a place to pick arts but couldn't find it. (I'm
> waiting for the first reply that says, "see, you WineX is evil - you
> should be using all native games! <grin>)
>
> I've still not figured out why my Logitech webcam (3000) causes arts
> to barf if I bootup with it plugged in. The webcam and arts get along
> fine if I plug it in (USB) -after- I bootup.

Maybe your webcam has a build in microphone and is now recognised as the
_first_ audio device. See if a sound module is loaded for it with
'/sbin/lsmod'. Maybe just a matter of the ALSA drivers shipped with 9.2
having better support for usb audio :-) If so there should be a
solution to always load the driver for your onboard sound as the first
audio device.

> Overall, like I said, 9.2 seems to be a pretty solid release. Good
> job Mandrake! :-)

HTH,

    -Frans