Melissa Reese wrote:
>Before I boot back into Mandrake to do a bit more tweaking, I'd like
>to know if there's a *simple as possible* tutorial somewhere for
>setting up Wine and installing a program into (onto?) it? The
>tutorials I've found so far seem to assume that I'm already
>comfortable with the idea of manually creating/editing configuration
>files in Linux...which I'm not.

Unfortunately, Wine is alpha software. There is a lot of documentation, but  setting
up Wine (if it doesn't just work for you immediately) is considered an advanced Linux
skill.

>At this point, there's just one Windows program I'd like to see if I
>can get to work under Wine (MessageCleaner). If I can get that set up
>to work in my Mandrake installation, it will, at the very least, give
>me a little extra time to get used to some of the Linux text editors
>and/or email/news clients and still be able to do a few specific
>things with certain types of text formatting/re-formatting of email
>and news group messages.

I agree with Scott. Check out http://appdb.winehq.com and see if anyone else has
gotten MessageCleaner to work. Also, you might want to join the wine users mailing
list and ask if anyone there has gotten it working. If someone has, they may be able
to give you pointers on how to get yours working.

Also, start with the latest wine release which includes the latest winesetuptk. A lot
of stuff will be immediately configured for you and give you a leg up on the process.
The latest wine binaries for Mandrake are located at the following address.

deedee
Registered Linux User #327485
Visit "WordStar & GNU/Linux"
http://www.wordstar2.com