Ok, from the begining is not an easy work to move from
a windows based company to a linux one, and you must
be more than a newbie to get that job.

 I have like 5 years of experience working on linux,
making diferent tests, implementing database servers,
web servers, proxys, file servers, autentication
servers and moving users form windows to Linux. But
none of them was an easy thing because you are not in
a home proyect to see if it works... you are into an
enterprice and youre boss hopes you now wath you are
doing and hope no more than success from you.

Nevertheless i offer you mi help to guide you to a
scaled migration from one to other system.

My recommend is going first with

> C) Linux servers with windows desktops.

and if you solve all the users request from the
servers... then most of the job have to been done.

there are Oracle solutions for Linux servers so you
have to investigate a lot by youre selve before going
to youre boos's office to show youre solution

                    Cdrack.

--- Jamie Kerwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> With the success of My Mandrake 9.0 Intranet server,
> My boss recently
> expressed an interest in moving our entire company's
> IT from Windows servers
> & desktops to either:
>
> A) a Totally linux based solution.
> B) windows servers with Linux Clients
> C) Linux servers with windows desktops.
>
> My question, well request really, is for any
> information, or suggestions of
> web-sites that may be of use when doing a business
> proposal for this.
> Plus any recommended software replacements plus
> recommendations of with
> linux distros to use would be very much appreciated
> (obviously I would like
> to use Mandrake as I have used this in the past.)
>
> The systems we currently use are:
>
> Win2k Servers using Active Directory (for
> authentication and also user
> information directory)
> DNS (Bind?)
> DHCP,
> Oracle 8i server (hosted on a cluster server)
> Cognos(reports from our oracle database)
> Exchange (email, calendar, meeting room booking,
> tasks etc..)
> MS Office 2k (obvious replacement being Open Office)
> Terminal Server,
> Remote Dial-in Users,
> Scan-file (scanned document management)
>
> Additionally we want to use:
> Electronic faxing,
> Web Proxying, (squid?)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jamie

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ITS
> Internal Extension : 5806
> Direct Dial        : 0870 754 5806
>
> ************** E-mail Disclaimer **************
>
> This e-mail message is confidential and for use by
> the addressee only.  If the message is received by
> anyone other than the addressee, please return the
> message to the sender by replying to it and then
> delete the message from your computer.  Please note
> that any views, or opinions presented in this e-mail
> are solely those of the author and do not
> necessarily represent those of The Benenden
> Healthcare Society Limited.  The recipient should
> check this e-mail and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses.  The Benenden Healthcare
> Society Limited accepts no liability for any damages
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email and
> its attachments. The Benenden Healthcare Society
> Limited is regulated by the Financial Services
> Authority (FSA) and is an Incorporated Friendly
> Society, registered under the Friendly Societies Act
> 1992. Registered No: 480F.
>
> The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited, Registered
> Office: Holgate Park Drive, York, YO26 4GG. Tel 0870
> 7545 700  Fax 0870 7545 821  www.benenden.org.uk.

MandrakeSoft?