On Sunday 14 Dec 2003 10:14 pm, John wrote:
> On Sunday 14 December 2003 04:01 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for response. Tried harddrake and noticed the files had
> > > changed. Floppy=> new devfs device: /dev/floppy/0; old device
> > > file:/dev/fd0...   Cdrom=> new devfs device:
> > > /dev/scsi/host0/bus0 /target0/lun0/cd; old device file:
> > > /dev/scd0... I'm not sure how or why the change. Error message
> > > when trying to access cd says could not enter directory
> > > /mnt/cdrom. Thanks for help.
> > >
> > > John
> >
> > /dev/fd0 is a link to /dev/floppy/0, so it's no problem (see
> > attached).  I would guess, though, that your /etc/fstab may need
> > adjusting.  Check that you still have the mount points that you
> > want to use, /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom etc..  Then paste a copy of
> > your fstab into your reply, and one of us will check it for you.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne
> Thanks again for the response. Here is the copy of /etc/fstab.
> /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> /dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
> none /mnt/floppy supermount
> dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask
>=0 0 0
> none /mnt/scd0 supermount
> dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0
> 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
> I'm learning here so i'm not sure about the mount points. I am
> using the default setup from the installation process if that
> helps, but something has changed from that setup.

Clearly fstab is still looking for those link files.  I assume that
they have been lost.  I would guess that you could simply change the
relevant fstab lines, making dev=/dev/fd0 read dev=/dev/floppy/0 and
so on, but I suspect that it would be better to recreate the links.

It's time for someone more experienced to jump in on this one.  Should
he recreate the links?  Can you give precise instructions?

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302