On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:17:26 +0800
Anguo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> you mean that I should boot with new_kernel, and from the
> console do urpmi new_nvidia_driver. I should NOT do it from
> current_kernel.

Just to be on the safe side. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the Nvidia
RPM "knows" which kernel to install to, but hey...

> After having done so, I will still have the choice in LILO
> to boot
>       EITHER
>        with current_kernel and current_nvidia_driver
>       OR
>        with new_kernel with the newly installed
>        new_nvidia_driver.
>
> Thus, even if the new_nvidia rpm is badly corrupted, I WILL
> still have a working X running or current_kernel.
>

> Is this what you mean?

Yep. You shouldn't be in X when installing the Nvidia drivers anyway. The
reason, of course, that X won't start with the new kenel, is that in your
XF86Config-4 you have it set to load the Nvidia driver. As long as the old
kernel is still loading the Nvidia driver, you can always go back.

This whole kernel business *is* kinda unnerving, no? ;-)

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046