Has anyone succeeded in getting Macromedia Flash player to run under
Mandrake 9.2?

I am trying to install the 'install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz' file I
downloaded from the Macromedia website. I've tried both system (root)
and regular user installs, both of them appear to complete successfully
but the plugin is never installed (doesn't show up in the plugins page
in Mozilla and doesn't show Flash anims.) I've even tried manually
copying the associated files (flashplayer.xpt libflashplayer.so) into
the plugins directory and that doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.