Doh! <magnet selects "muppet-mode">

Right, Just in case anyone else reads this in the archives, the answer is in
the question, as I just discovered 2 minutes after posting this!

>> mjpeg<< this wasn't installed!!

urpmi mjpegtools

Simple really! Streamer no longer hangs, exits and shuts off the sound after
recording and the file is recorded fine.
Hope this is of some help to others with a similar problem.

Regards
magnet
:)