On Saturday 27 December 2003 12:35 pm, Sharrea Day wrote:
> IIRC, you only need GATEWAYDEV if you use a dialup modem (as I do). Mine
> goes:

Not entirely correct...

> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING=yes
> GATEWAYDEV=ppp0
> HOSTNAME=tbird.nofish.net.nz

I have a machine here with both a network card and a wireless card in it. The
wireless card is assigned eth0 and the NEthernet card is assigned eth1. I
have set linux not to start either interface at boot time and have a series
of menu entries in the main menu which allow me to bring either interface up
or down as I wish.

Here is an example of the commands I use in the main menu for eth1 -

/usr/sbin/usernetctl eth1 up ( this menu entry brings the interface up)

/usr/sbin/usernetctl eth1 down  (this menu entry brings it down)

Change the interface designator as appropriate for the interface you want to
control. I have four of these entries to allow for control of the two
interfaces.

Note that the variable USERCTL=yes must be present in the ifcfg file for the
interface you wish to control in this way.

Here is my ifcfg-eth1 file -

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.98
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ONBOOT=no
GATEWAYDEV=eth1
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=yes

You'll see the USERCTL needed to allow the user to control the interface, and
the GATEWAYDEV specifying this interface as the gateway device when it is
active.

I have found this a handy way to select the interface I wish to use from the
main menu of KDE.

Rick Kunath