On Sunday 28 Dec 2003 10:35 pm, Troy T. Hall wrote:
> I've attached the result of tailing the mail logs and all of the main.cf
> I'm using a purely stock Mandrake 9.2 install so postfix is what I'm using.
> I don't even have the box locked down well yet :(
>
> Troy
> "Derek Jennings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> > On Sunday 28 Dec 2003 7:40 pm, Troy T. Hall wrote:
> > > "Derek Jennings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote
>
> > > in message
>
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > enough

> steady
>
> > > at

> router

> > > up

> are

> responding.

> > > well, I thought I had.  I've got mail stuck in q and when I send mail
>
> from
>
> > > the server to the local account it rants about RLIMIT NOFILE whatever
>
> that
>
> > > is.
> >
> > Have you installed Postfix?, sendmail? qmail? or some other server?
> >
> > What do you see in the logs /var/log/mail/ ?
> >

> > derek
> >

> I've attached the result of tailing the mail logs and all of the main.cf
> I'm using a purely stock Mandrake 9.2 install so postfix is what I'm using.
> I don't even have the box locked down well yet :(
>
> Troy

OK I have seen this one before.
When you installed Mandrake you ticked the 'Mail server' box in the 'Install
Packages' screen didn't you?

If you do that Mandrake Installer will install the mailman package which will
screw up Postfix until mailman is correctly configured. To get around it :-

urpme mailman

Then edit your main.cf and remove the references to mailman in :-
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

so it should be :-
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

There is also a mistake in your mynetworks line. It should be :-
mynetworks = 192.168.123.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8

You do not need to include your exterior IP address.

You should also edit /etc/aliases to define a real human user who can receive
error mails from postfix as in :-

# Person who should get root's mail.  This alias
# must exist.
# CHANGE THIS LINE to an account of a HUMAN
root:           troy

Then remake the aliases database with

newaliases

derek