If you are using Mandrake 6.0, or 6.1, you should me able to set this up using
Xconfigurator (Ithink that's the one). At the end of the setup process, you
should be offered a choice to start X automatically. If you answer "yes", this
should do it. The other way is to edit the /etc/initab file. Change the line
with:

        ID:3:initdefault:

to:

        ID:5:initdefault:

using your favorite text editor My choice is pico, since it is simple to use,
and the commands you will need to save the file, and exit the editor are
displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Ernie

http://webmail.netscape.com.