I'm still a newbie, so if I'm wrong please set me straight (Axalon, Steve,
Jeanette, etc.)

Are you trying to convert a RedHat 6.0 system to Mandrake?  I don't suggest
mixing systems.  So that I don't cut you off short, I'll presume that you're
going from a Mandrake 6.0 system to MacMillan Mandrake 6.5 (actually really
Mandrake 6.1...MacMillan is sort of goofy with their numbering).

When installing libraries, be sure that you do NOT upgrade a library.  If an
older program is looking for the older library, you want to be sure it is
available.

I suggest taking a visit to www.mandrakeuser.org.  It's an excellent site
and very well laid out for a newbie.  The site also lists additional books
and references.

HTH,
Matt

BTW - do you work for Intel?  I thought all Intel employees had to swear
allegiance to Microsoft :-)