On Sunday 04 Jan 2004 8:08 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I just got Mandrake 9.1 for my PPC G4 and i've installed it with reasonable
> success with one problem.  After booting linux from the boot prompt I am
> asked to log in as the local host, using the user name and password
> previously created in the installation setup.  When I log in correctly I'm
> given the prompt: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" (I believe that is something near to
> what appears on screen).  This is where I'm stuck because I'm not sure how
> to run linux from here.  When I installed linux I had to use the text based
> installation, install-text, instead of the defult, install-gui, because the
> gui was unreadable and looked scrambled.  I'm not sure if this had any
> effect on the previous problem, but either way I need some type of answer.
> Sorry for being such a newb.
>
> Thanks for whoever answers.

From your text prompt you should be able to run
startx
to go to the graphical mode.
If it does not start then it is probably because your video card has not been
configured. Run
XFdrake
from a root  prompt for a text based GUI to select your video card (navigate
with Tab key)
(By the Way: Ctl+Alt+F1 through to Ctl+Alt+F6 will give you different console
screens to save you logging off and logging back on again as root user)

I have never used XFdrake for PPC, but I imagine it will work much like the
Intel version.

HTH

derek

--