On 01/04/2004 07:30 PM, mike wrote:

I think I understand the function is to take the oldest which is the
first argument if it exists rename it to the second argument.

Yup.

So it cd's to my file directory and
sees if wireless_stat3.tar it would filetest 3 4 (rename file3.tar to
file4.tar) and
2 to 3, 1 to 2. Yes, I was wondering how to keep it from running
forever. I see now by what you have in your script.

Good! :)

Now to put it all together could I do something like this?

I'd suggest this: #--start script #! /bin/bash filetest() { if [ -f wireless_stat$1.tar ] ; then mv -f wireless_stat$1.tar wireless_stat$2.tar fi } cd /home/mike/tmp filetest 4 5 filetest 3 4 filetest 2 3 filetest 1 2 tar -c -z -f wireless_stat1.tar wireless_stat

if [ -f wireless_stat1.tar ] ; then
 rm -f wireless_stat; touch wireless_stat;
fi
#--end script

First you define the function (it is only defined, not run), then you cd to $HOME/tmp. Then cycle the backup tar-files. That way you move the existing backups out of the way, preserving the old #1 as #2 and getting rid of old #5 in the process. And then you build the new stat1.tar after which you create a clean stat-file. Do you see the logic in this?

I hope this is clear enough.
Good luck,
Paul