I'm trying to manage better my downloads and packages. From previous
posts to this list, I've concluded that I should always prefer an
Mandrake RPM, but if a suitable RPM is not available then I should build
an RPM from source tarball and install it that way, and that
checkinstall is an easy way to do that (with thanks to Derek for that
suggestion).

If I decide to keep the source after building the RPM, it belongs in
/usr/local/src -- correct? And is there any reason to save the source?

Charlie suggested in an earlier post that "If you're building RPMs from
tarballs you'll want to set up a build directory and add that as a local
source as well. Then you can install with urpmi from there...", which
sounds like a good idea. Yet checkinstall does not place the RPMs it
creates in a single directory but rather in several subdirectories under
/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/, classified by architecture. I am tempted to find how
to change checkinstall's behavior to place RPMs in a single directory
and follow Charlie's advice, but before I do I'd like to understand what
the logic is in having RPMs for different architectures in different
directories.

This issue becomes more relevant considering that I also download
pre-rolled RPMs and want to save them in the same place, and those RPMs
come in different architectures (at the moment, I have RPMs for i386,
i586, and noarch). It would be more convenient for me to have all my
RPMs (both pre-rolled and those I rolled myself, regardless of
architecture) in one place, and so be able to define one local source
for urpmi rather than many.

Perhaps this is all much ado about nothing, but I want to understand
what is going on and why before I start messing things up or reinventing
the wheel. All advice welcome.
--
Warren Post, Registered Linux user 241394
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras