On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 08:18:11 -0500, "Bryan Phinney"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> On Monday 05 January 2004 06:40 am, Kristian Davies wrote:
> > Mandrake 9.2 Paranoid
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have installed Mandrake with paranoid setting(so cant login with su
> > on console), my user account has expired.
> >
> > How do i recover the user account?
>
> Insert the Mandrake CD or DVD and boot from that.  At the prompt, hit
> F1 and enter rescue on the boot command line.  When the ncurses screen
> comes up,  choose Maintenance mode and that will put you in at single
> user console. Issue the "passwd username" and it should prompt you to
> enter a new password for that user account.  You would be advised to
> change the warning period to give your user accounts a longer period of
> time to change passwords before they expire.  I would recommend 14 days
> if you are going to run in paranoid mode.

When I boot from CD, press F1, type rescue, there is no selection for
Maintenence. Not sure what "ncurses" is, but the selections include
mounting volumes, fixing bootloaders, etc. There is a "command prompt"
selection. I assume that's what I want. But the "passwd" program isn't
found. Command is not recognized.

BTW, I'm not the one with the original problem, just trying the
procedure. :)