----- Original Message -----
From: "Toth Bela" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "mandrake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 1:52 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake 9.2 and Hauppauge pvr-250

> Hi!
> I first (at the first probe) try use hardrake, but this was in the
> command line when I try run detect in hardrake (I have a ATI Radeon 9200
> video card):
> > WARNING: Your X-Server has no DGA support.
> > can't open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
> > v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> > v4l2: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
> > v4l2: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
> > v4l: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory
> > no video grabber device available
> The /dev/v4l/video0 device not exist, but I don't know what (and where)
> setting create it. I try compile my own kernel, but the device wasn't
> created. I write letter to hungarian mplayer user list, and here sad
> me: try use ivtv, because the ivtv's driver good for PVR-250 card's.
> > what method did you attempt the install? I have just been given the same
card
> > I don't know if you _need_ ivtv. I would put the card in and run
harddrake
> > first.
> Thanks your answer!
> Toti
well Toti,, I feel your pain,,,
After your last note, I decided to remove my old winTV (based on a bttv 848
chip) that has worked with out fail since about MDK7.2, and replace it with
a new pvr250, to see if I could get it running,,, but so far,, just spinning
my wheels, I am sorry to say.
I looks like ivtv 'should' be _the_ program for this card, but I have not
yet been able to get the RPMs to install.
Sorry I don't have better news,,, but keep watching this list, when I get it
running, I will let you know.
so far it looks like you should try the 'multimedia' kernel since it should
already be compliled with v4l. have you attempted to urpmi or use MCC to
find the/a multimedia kernel (it will have mm in the name of the kernel)?