On Wednesday 07 January 2004 06:52 am, Merlin Zener wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, I set both windoze boxes to static IP addresses, and verified
> they still talk to each other. The desktop refuses to shut down now,
> it just goes to blue screen and stays there. But I could care less
> about that atm, I can just hit the reset switch and boot into Linux
> and shut down cleanly from there. That's not the problem. The problem
> is I've killed my internet connection. I'm typing this in a net cafe,
> after setting up a new account and subscribing it to the list.
> [btw what's with the archives at mandrake.com only going up till
> Nov03?]
>
> I ran the drakeconnect wizard again, but it wouldn't let me NOT put in
> a DNS server or [the other one - I can't remember now] It complained
> that the DNS Server should be in the form n.n.n.n and suggested [IIRC]
> 186.192.0.3 and 186.192.0.2. I'm not sure of those numbers, I'm going
> from memory here. It was 7AM when I was trying to sort out what was
> going wrong and that's late, even for me...
>
> When I start KPPP it dials and connects to the ISP ok, but then
> nothing further happens. Evolution times out with "unknown reason" and
> all web pages return "connection refused". I ran the wizard again and
> it had obliterated my dialup account - I had to go searching through
> boxes and boxes of bits of paper and receipts etc to find the original
> signup stuff from the ISP so I could re-enter the dialin numbers and
> username and password again. But still, the same symptoms, no matter
> what I tried. It seems like regardless of the state of the dialup, the
> network connection seems to want to take over.

I'm late on this thread, but I've been following it.  For starters, I never
setup my dialup with the Wizard.  It has fsck'd my dialup before.  My rule
is, ALWAYS use kppp Configuration in dialog mode to setup the modem.  When
setting up the connection, on the IP screen, check "Dynamic IP Address".  On
the Gateway screen check "default gateway", unless your ISP assigns one, then
you have to check the other box and type in the gateway IP.  On the DNS
screen, type in the name of your ISP, example   myisp.net  , and check the
"manual" box.  Type in the IP address of your ISP's DNS servers and add them,
one at a time.  Check the box for "DISABLE EXISTING DNS SERVERS DURING
CONNECTION.  Check to see the you can communicate with your modem, and that
your ISP dialup numbers are correct.  Back out to the dialup box, saving as
you go.  Type in your username and password.

Your connection should work.  If not, go to /etc/resolv.conf and check what it
says.  There should be only one line, something like this:

search Your_Lan_Workgroup_Name myisp.net local

mine looks like this:

search Hilltop gorge.net local

If it still doesn't work, /etc/sysconfig/network should only contain the lines

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME="your_machine_name.Your_Lan_Workgroup_Name"

Your internet connection should work, now.  The LAN is another problem, but
one thing at a time.  Usually, the Wizard is o.k. for a LAN setup.

e.