From: Ronald A. Yacketta

check out
http://solaris1.mysolution.com/~jcatki/imwheel/
http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

If you want to actually use the wheel for something, you can insert this
  line in the pointer section:

          ZAxisMapping 4 5

  This will map the wheel-up and wheel-down events to X button 4 and
  button 5.  At this point, you can play around with .Xdefaults to let
  these buttons actually do something.  Unfortunately, this will be on a
  per-application basis.

IE:
Section "Pointer"
    Protocol "IMPS/2"          # for ps/2 mouse
    Protocol "intellimouse"      # for serial wheel mouse
    Device   "/dev/psaux"
    Buttons  5
    ZAxisMapping 4 5
  EndSection

note:
I use /dev/psaux with a ps/2 mouse but in my pointer section I use
intellimouse vice IMPS/2

John Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 10/26/99 03:53:46 PM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]