I am trying to understand the different ways that programs can be run at
startup. What has sparked my interest is that I am experimenting with
different windows managers, yet I would like some basic things (xmms,
xscreensaver, gkrellm, etc.) to be launched upon entry into any window
manager. Yet aside from getting specific answers to specific questions,
I'm hoping to understand the big picture here. So here's what I
understand so far, gleaned from this list's archive. Please help me
correct my misconceptions and patch my ignorance:

/etc/profile
Runs a program upon login of any user, any WM, in or out of X. I have,
for example, xmms here so that xmms starts up regardless of user, which
is what I want. It tries and fails to launch xmms even if the user is
logging in to a console, so I should move this to a file that executes
programs only if logging in under X. Is there such a file? If not, is
there a way I can condition the launching of xmms (or any program that
requires X) upon X being running?

/etc/rc.local (-> /etc/rc.d/rc.local)
Said to do the same as /etc/profile, but I can't get it to work, nor do
I understand when one would use this vs. /etc/profile.

~/.xinitrc
Runs a program upon a particular user starting X. Only works if you
login at a console and then start X manually.

~/.bashrc
Runs a program every time a particular user opens a terminal, assuming
he uses bash.

~/.bash_profile
Runs a program upon login of a particular user, any WM, in or out of X.
I haven't mastered this yet as sometimes it works and sometimes it
doesn't. As with /etc/profile, I'd like to find a way to condition the
launching of a program that requires X upon X being running.

And of course many WMs have their own ways of launching programs on
startup, such a placing things in ~/Desktop/Autostart. I'm not
considering them here because for the moment I am looking for
WM-independent ways to launch programs.

So... what else is there to know about running programs at startup?
--
Warren Post, Registered Linux user 241394
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras