On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:39:57 -0600
James Cammarata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Who the hell is Michael Doyle, you ask?
>
> That is NOT good news for anyone.  This is a company (of 2 people) suing
> over an overly broad patent they weren't using for anything
> themselves.  The implications for all software of this nature (embedded
> plug ins) is very far-reaching and could impact other browsers like Mozilla
> and Opera just as easily.
>
> Do not cheer for this case just because M$ is losing...

You apparently didn't read the article.

Quote:

"EWeek reports that Doyle told them he has been: "in discussions with major
players in Linux world and working on plan to resolve '906 patent issue with
entire Linux community." Any solution, Doyle added, "Will be supportive of
open-source community."

You giggling yet?

Once Mr Doyle has the half-a-bill firmly wedged in his back pocket, he'll do a
deal to allow open sourcers to use the technology freely, we imagine. And,
sticking with our imagination, it seems Doyle, conscious of his public image,
wants to be seen as a Robin Hood figure, redistributing, by legal means, the
massive wealth accumulated through the Sheriff of Redmond's Windows tax."

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046