----- Original Message -----
From: "robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Uninstall KDE

> Job Evers wrote:
> > When I installed Mandrake 9.2 I decided to install
> > both KDE and GNOME.  I have been happy with GNOME so
> > far and so I would like to take KDE off my computer.
> > Is there any advantage to keeping KDE even if I never
> > use it?  Also can I just go to the "Remove Software"
> > manager and check the KDE box?
>
> You need some KDE libraries in order to be able to run some applications
> writtten for KDE. Check the box in "Remove Software" and see what
> messages come up - it will give you a list of programs which will also
> be reomved because of dependencies.
>
> Sir Robin
>
> --
> "The Pseudo Politically Correct term that I would use to describe the
> mind set
> of postmodernism is 'epistemologically challenged'." - Chip Morningstar
>
> Robin Turner
> IDMYO
> Bilkent Univeritesi
> Ankara 06533
> Turkey
>
> www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin

I'm against uninstalling KDE. Though you use Gnome, as I did at one point,
KDE has many programs that are quite useful. For instance, I prefer
Konqueror over Galeon and Mozilla, and I don't think it's possible to use
Konqueror without KDE installed.

I'd advise against it, but do as you wish
--Marc

----