On Sunday 18 January 2004 05:18 pm, marc resnick wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 05:50 pm, marc resnick wrote:
> > >
> > >     ACPI is enabled by default in the kernel. You never
> > > needed a patch. Check your lilo.conf line and remove
> > > anything like 'acpi=off' or acpi=ht' from the kernel's
> > > append= line. Reboot. If that didn't do it, you can try
> > > adding 'acpi=force' to the append line as a last resort.
> > > BUT don't add it to lilo.conf just yet. At the lilo splash
> > > screen, press <Esc> and type 'linux acpi=force' (you may
> > > have to use one of the displayed kernel versions rather
> > > than 'linux' if you've updated kernels)
> > >
> > > acpi=  [HW,ACPI] Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
> > >          force   Force ACPI on, even if blacklisted
> > > platform off     Disable ACPI
> > >          ht      Limit ACPI to boot-time LAPIC enumeration
> > > for HT, disabling the run-time AML interpreter.
> > >
> > >    Are you sure your hardware is ACPI capable?  "It works
> > > in Windoze" doesn't count.  If you get ACPI enabled,
> > > check /var/log/dmesg to see how succesfully it was
> > > implemented. I have ACPI enabled. If you want I can send
> > > you my dmesg file offlist as an example.
> >
> > Tom,
> > I've tried enabling ACPI before, but Linux doesn't boot. Even
> > when I force it, I only get a blank screen. I also think my
> > hardware supports it, but I'm not sure. I'm not certain if I
> > updated my kernel. I did download some packages once, which
> > added some options to Lilo for booting, but I deleted them
> > from the boot menu. =/. What do you suggest I do? -Marc
>
> I tried to boot with an updated version of my kernel(2.4.22-26
> rather than 2.4.22-10), but on boot, I get an error about being
> unable to locate a DSDT something or other. I'm stumped.

     Google turned this up for 'dsdt linux'
http://www.linux.com/howtos/ACPI-HOWTO/dsdt.shtml

     For most all situation, Mandrake defaults to disabling ACPI.
Most hardware has problems with it.  The only thing you can do,
AFAIK, is to try enabling it and see if it works. If if doesn't,
you'll need somebody smarter than me to help, or give up.
Generally, Google is your best friend.

    On my recently new motherboard (desktop), Mandrake used
'acpi=ht', which is pretty standard. It disables acpi, but allows
for HT (hyper threading, which I don't have anyhow). I noticed
tho in '/var/log/dmesg' that there were some boot warnings,
'somethin wants IRQ3, but gets IRQ5', and another, 'somethin
about spurious IRQ7'.

   Thinkin ACPI had nothin to do with IRQ handling, and havin APIC
enabled, I just ignored the mesgs for a while. Then I read
somethin somewhere (Goggle search) that mentioned enabling ACPI
to clear up those errors. I did and it did, and now going into
and out of idle power suspend is much more reliable. It also
cleared up a little occaisional scratchiness in alsa sound ouput
(which I reckon was the IRQ3/5 deal). Anecdotal, but I suspect
the Advanced Configuration part of ACPI, allows Advanced
Programmable Interrupt Control (APIC), to fully do it's job (?).

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas