I've installed Mandrake 9.2 on an IBM ThinkPad laptop computer. This machine
is used both at home and at my work location. In each case, it is connected
to a LAN. My network at home is set up using static IP addresses, with a DSL
router separating the machines from the Internet. At work, I am on a DHCP
network. In addition, a proxy server controls access to the Web.

Using the Mandrake Control Center, I created two profiles under Network &
Internet. I configured my Home profile while connected to that network and
did the same for the Work profile.

This process has left me with a couple of questions. To begin with, how do
you switch profiles? I have tried booting on the appropriate network,
opening Mandrake Control Center, and then selecting the desired profile from
the dropdown list. This does not appear to function correctly however. I end
up having to reconfigure and then the settings don't always take. Sometimes
I find myself going in and out of both Mandrake Control Center and also X
two or three times before the settings hold.

I have previously had two other distros on this machine. In SuSE 9.0
Professional, you would bring up YaST2 and from there you could configure
SCPM, SuSE's configuration profile manager. After I configured this, I could
control it at a prompt by issuing the command '# scpm switch {profilename}'.
In Fedora Core 1.0, I simply logged in as the root user, changed my IP
setting, subnet mask, and DNS server listing. I could then log in as a
normal user and all acted normally. I guess that I am looking for a method
to accomplish this task as easily in Mandrake.

Thanks,

Rob Smith
Linux newbie